- Does Progressive Insurance charge a fee to cancel their auto coverage?
- How fast can I cancel my Progressive auto insurance?
- If I cancel my Progressive auto coverage today, will I get a refund for the rest of my policy term?
- Progressive Insurance accepts same-day cancellations of auto coverage by phone. You can also cancel by mail or, in some states, online.
- If you cancel your coverage before the end of the policy term, you may be subject to a cancellation fee.
- You should secure new auto coverage the day before you cancel your Progressive policy.
A kooky spokesperson named Flo may have convinced you to give Progressive Insurance a try. Or maybe it was that enticing slogan, “Name your price.” But times have changed and you’re ready to break it off with Flo and the Progressive team. Read on for the scoop on the easiest, fastest way to cancel your Progressive auto insurance.
Progressive Insurance Auto Coverage Cancellation Policy
Progressive Insurance accepts auto policy cancellations over the phone, in person, and by mail. In some states, you also have the option to cancel online.
The most reliable approach is to call the main customer service number at 888-671-4405 to request your cancellation. That number is manned by Progressive agents 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To cancel your policy, you’ll need your name, policy number, date of birth, and Social Security number, plus the date on which you want to terminate the policy. You can end your coverage on the same day you call, but we highly recommend you wait until your policy expires. That way, there’s no chance Progressive will charge you a cancellation fee.
You may be asked to provide proof that you’ve sold the insured vehicle or proof that you’ve initiated replacement coverage.
If you cancel in the middle of the policy term, Progressive Insurance will refund premiums for the unused days, less any cancellation fees.
Progressive Insurance cancellation fees
Progressive Insurance does not publish its cancellation fee policy online, but users do report being charged fees as recently as February, 2017. Auto insurance cancellation fees can vary based on where you live, the type of coverage you have, and the date of cancellation relative to the policy’s expiration date. WalletHub reports that Progressive’s cancellation fees range from a 10% surcharge to a flat fee of $50 to $65.
If you are considering switching away from Progressive, call 888-671-4405 now to find out if you are subject to a short rate, surcharge, or cancellation fee. If you are, ask the agent to point you to the cancellation fee language in your auto policy documentation. Take a read through that documentation to confirm that the agent’s response was accurate.
Generally speaking, cancellation fees only apply when you cancel your policy mid-term. If you are subject to a fee, plan on switching away from Progressive on the same day your current policy expires.
Step by Step: Cancelling Your Progressive Insurance Auto Coverage
Technically, you could call up a Progressive agent right now and cancel your coverage. That’s often not the best approach, however. If you aren’t organized about switching auto carriers, it can cost you in several ways:
- Switching away from Progressive Insurance in the middle of your auto policy term could result in a cancellation fee.
- Initiating new coverage and forgetting to cancel your Progressive policy can result in you paying for two auto policies at the same time.
- Premiums vary widely from carrier to carrier. Gather three to five quotes on the same coverage levels before making a decision. Otherwise, you might be leaving money on the table.
- If you don’t time your new coverage properly, you could be without auto insurance temporarily. That can push your rates higher in the future and leave you exposed financially to any damages you cause. Avoid this by setting up new coverage to start the day before you cancel your Progressive policy.
Keep your costs low and maintain continuous coverage by following these five steps when canceling your Progressive auto insurance.
1. Know your Progressive policy details
Start by locating your Progressive auto insurance card. If you don’t have it handy, you can access a digital version on the Progressive app, as shown in the video below.
Your ID card will specify your policy expiration date — that’s the date you should plan on canceling your Progressive auto coverage. Next, find your policy declarations page. Review your coverages and deductible levels and decide if they still make sense. If they do, great. If they don’t, write down the coverages and deductibles you want going forward. You’ll use those to collect quotes on policies to replace your Progressive coverage.
2. Get quotes for replacement coverage
Now you’re ready to shop around. Before you start filling out online quote forms, gather the information you need so the process isn’t too tedious:
- Your list of desired coverages and deductibles
- Your coverage start date, which is the day before your Progressive policy expires
- Year, make, model, and VIN of all insured vehicles
- Name, birthdate, and driver’s license number for all drivers who’ll be on the policy
- If you plan to bundle your home and auto coverage, you’ll need the declarations page for your homeowners insurance. You might also need your home’s square footage.
Once you have your information organized, you can start gathering quotes from competing providers. Each quote should take less than 15 minutes.
3. Ask Progressive to match your lowest quote
If another provider quoted you a lower rate for the same coverages, ask Progressive to match the quote. Generally, the agent answering the phone doesn’t have the authority to lower your rates on request. The agent may, however, ask some questions to see if you qualify for untapped discounts. One of those may involve bunding, which is keeping your home and auto coverage with the same carrier in exchange for reduced premiums on both policies. If you get a bundled quote from Progressive, check other carriers for their rates on a home-and-auto bundle, too.
Oh, and remember that “name your price” slogan? This refers to Progressive’s “name your price” tool, which customizes auto coverages based on the premiums you want to pay. The agent may refer you there but proceed with caution. You might get lower premiums, but the resulting coverages may not suit your needs.
4. Start your new policy
If you get lower rates from Progressive, great. Initiate that cheaper policy right away to maximize your savings.
If you stick with your decision to switch carriers, contact your new insurer about initiating the coverage. Plan on kicking off that new policy the day before your Progressive car insurance expires. That keeps you from getting charged a cancellation fee and also evens out your cash flow. Otherwise, you end up paying for new insurance while you’re waiting for a refund from Progressive.
When your new coverage is active, ask the agent for a binder. This acts as your temporary proof of coverage until you can access your new ID cards.
5. Cancel your Progressive auto policy
To request cancellation of your Progressive auto policy, call 888-671-4405. Remember to have your Progressive policy number and the number for your new policy on hand.
The Fastest Way to Cancel Your Progressive Auto Policy
The fastest way to cancel your Progressive Insurance auto coverage is to call 888-671-4405. You’ll speak to an agent who’ll need your name, date of birth, Social Security number, and your Progressive Insurance auto policy number. Depending on where you live, the agent may also ask you for proof that you no longer need the coverage. That proof would be a bill of sale if you’ve sold the vehicle or a policy number for your replacement coverage. If you’ve secured that replacement coverage already, you can terminate your Progressive insurance on the same day you call.
Before You Cancel Your Progressive Insurance Auto Policy
It’s not always the right strategy to switch auto insurance providers, even when you do find a lower premium. Before you initiate your new policy and cancel Progressive, ask these questions:
- Am I subject to a cancellation fee by Progressive? You might be if you cancel mid-term. Read your policy or call an agent and ask. You can sidestep the fee if you delay the switch until the day your Progressive policy expires.
- Will Progressive owe me a refund? If you do cancel before your policy expires, Progressive should refund you for extra days you paid for but didn’t use. Ask the agent processing your cancellation what your refund will be and when you can expect it to arrive.
- Will the move to a new auto insurance provider affect any other policies? If you have boat insurance or homeowners insurance with Progressive, the move might raise your rates on those other policies.
- Are my new coverages sufficient? Make sure the new provider didn’t beat your Progressive premiums by offering you lower coverages and higher deductibles.
- Does my auto lender need to approve the change? If you’re changing coverage levels, check with your auto lender before you make the switch.
When to Start Your New Auto Policy
Start your new coverage the day before you end your Progressive auto insurance. This guarantees you won’t be charged a cancellation fee and you won’t be without auto insurance, even for a day. Going without coverage temporarily is called a “coverage gap.” Auto carriers see a coverage gap as a risk factor and may charge you higher premiums for it.
The bigger problem, though, is the possibility you’ll have an accident while you aren’t covered. If that happens, you’re financially responsible for the damage you caused. Your DMV may suspend your driver’s license or charge you penalties. In some states, you might even face jail time for driving without insurance.
Don’t go down that road. Get your new auto policy in place before you cancel with Progressive.
Cancelling Progressive Insurance FAQs
If you cancel your auto coverage in the middle of the policy term, you may be charged a fee.
If you have replacement coverage already, you can cancel your Progressive insurance on the same day.
You will get a refund if you cancel before the end of your policy term. If you are subject to a cancellation fee, Progressive will deduct it from your refund.
So, naming your price for auto insurance didn’t work out. That’s OK. Because once you’ve done the legwork of shopping around and securing replacement coverage, it only takes a quick phone call to terminate your Progressive auto policy.
 Ma, J. (2018, June 01). Cancel Progressive car insurance in under 5 minutes. Retrieved June 12, 2020, from https://www.finder.com/how-to-cancel-progressive-car-insurance-policy
 Contact Progressive via chat, email, or phone. (n.d.). Retrieved June 09, 2020, from https://www.progressive.com/contact-us/
 PissedConsumer1279591. (2017, February 1). Progressive Insurance – hidden contract fees! Retrieved June 09, 2020, from https://progressive-insurance.pissedconsumer.com/hidden-contract-fees-avoid-progressive-20130301389234.html
 Waite, A. (2020, March 10). How do I cancel my Progressive insurance? Retrieved June 09, 2020, from https://wallethub.com/answers/ci/cancel-progressive-insurance-2140701951/
 What happens if you have a car accident without insurance? (2019, July 03). Retrieved June 10, 2020, from https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insurance/car-accident-no-insurance/